For the majority of its existence, the Rogers Ranch put all their efforts into the production of beef. The ranch had approximately 10,000 head of Texas Longhorn cattle each year. However, that didn’t mean that all 60,000 acres of the ranch were exclusively used for grazing cattle.
Over the course of a year, there could be anywhere from twenty to forty ranch hands working for the Rogers family. These cowboys were given food, shelter, and mounts to ride. They stayed in bunkhouse at the ranch headquarters, which were located along Four-Mile Creek, a few miles to the west of the Rogers ranch house. In order to feed these men, the Rogers Ranch also employed families of farmers to grow crops, maintain orchards, and kitchen gardens. They would also raise leghorn chickens, Duroc-Jersey hogs, and goats for food as well.
And, in order to provide hay and feed for the cattle and horses over the winter, they devoted two hundred hundred acres to hay, and another three hundred to fodder crops like corn and oats.
After the Missouri Pacific Railroad came through the middle of the Rogers Ranch in 1889, the agricultural production of the Rogers Ranch changed significantly. It neatly bisected the ranch in half from north to south. And, with the railroad came more people, and it became increasingly more difficult to have free range cattle grazing in such an expansive area. By the early 1890s, Clem Rogers had switched to Herford cattle in fenced pastures on the eastern side of the railroad. On the western half of the ranch, Clem Rogers began producing red turkey wheat, producing around 13,000 bushels annually.